Shopping and Dining: Within a five minute drive is the village of San Terenziano with a cafe bar selling gelato, a gas station, two mini-markets, two restaurants, one pizzeria, pharmacy, butcher and pastry shop. There is a large supermarket at the E45 highway reached in 10 minutes with a fresh bakery, butcher counter, delicatessen and well-stocked wine area. It is open on Saturday until 8:30 pm, and on Sunday. from 9 am to 1 pm.
Not To Be Missed: In the small town of Torgiano, 30 minutes away, visit the Museo del Vino and Museo dell’Olivo e dell’Olio. These museums show the history of wine and olive oil production dating back to Etruscan times.
Head north to Montefalco wine country - there are 24 wineries in this concentrated area producing the highest DOCG red wines from the Sagratino grape. While in the area, have lunch or dinner in the ancient and charming village of Bevagna with an assortment of small trattorie serving the local specialty, Gnocchi with Sagratino wine sauce.
Public Transportation: Drive one hour to the Orte train station where service into Rome takes 45 minutes.
Golf: In Ellera Umbra, 40 minutes away, at the 18-hole "Perugia Golf Club", open year round. Closed on Mondays.
Nature Walks: A visit to the Marmore Waterfalls, just under an hour's drive away, is a must-see for nature lovers. The falls are the tallest in Europe and were built by the ancient Romans. Today, the falls are turned on and off on a set schedule so be sure to check the timetable. Pack a picnic lunch and select from the three marked hiking trails graded by their level of difficulty to reach a couple of observation decks. During summer evenings, the cascading falls are floodlit making for quite a spectacle.
Open Air Markets: Morning markets are held on Saturday in Todi, Assisi and Perugia's Piazza Umbra Jazz, on Monday in Montefalco, on Tuesday in Perugia and Orvieto and on Friday in Spoleto.
Antiquing: An antique market is held in Todi on the second Sunday of each month. Todi's Italian Antique Exhibition takes place from April 15 - May 1. In Perugia, an outdoor antique market comes to Piazza Italia on the last Sunday of each month. Spoleto's antique market is every second Sunday of the month.
June & July:
- In Spoleto, the Festival of Two Worlds (Festival dei Due Mondi) is a two week event taking place from the end of June to the beginning of July with performers from all over the world in theatre, opera and dance.
- In Perguia, Umbria Jazz is a 10 day jazz festival drawing worldwide talent. Among the long list of past performers: Tony Bennett, Carlos Santana, Wynton Marsalis and Elton John.
- Montefalco Wine Festival - A four day event starting on Thursday before the third Sunday in September with exhibitions in the center of Montefalco and many wineries hosting tastings and events at their location.
- In Orvieto, the first week of September is the Street Theater Festival.
- The first 10 days of November - An enormous antique market is held in Orvieto.
- The week between Christmas and New Year's lasting into New Year's Day - Orvieto hosts a winter edition of the Umbria Jazz festival.