Nearest Shopping and Dining: Drive 5 minutes to Torrita di Siena or Sinalunga for a few restaurants and small grocery shops. Drive 15 minutes to Montepulciano with an assortment of fine restaurants, pizzerias, café bars and wine shops. Within a 5 minute drive, there is a supermarket in Torrita di Siena, along the route leading to the highway, open on Saturday, 8:30 am to 8 pm. There are three supermarkets in Sinalunga.
Not To Be Missed:
Bagno Vignoni, a 35-minute drive is known since Roman times for the benefits of it's thermal spring waters that gather in a big basin located in a beautiful square in the center of town.
In Cortona, 30-minute drive, is the Museum of the Etruscan Academy located at the istoric Palazzo Casali, erected in the 13th century and later turned into the residence of the governing family of Cortona. The museum exhibits an impressive collection of archaeological material and artistic items dating back from the 14th to the 19th century. Open year round. Closed on Mondays.
- Monte Oliveto Maggiore, the most well known monastery in Tuscany, walk the cloisters and visit the shop where the monks sell liquors, ceramics and herbal remedies, 45 minute drive.
Public Transportation: Sinalunga is on a secondary line with limited service. The closest main train station with service on the Florence to Rome line is located in Chiusi, a 40 minute drive.
Golf: Golf Club Valdichiana - Within a 10 minute drive. Open year round. Closed on Wednesdays from November to February.
- June: Festa del Barbarossa takes place in San Quirico d'Orcia on the third weekend with a medieval costume procession through the village ending at the Horti Leonini Italianate gardens where neighborhoods compete in archery and flag throwing.
- August: In Pienza, August 14th is celebrated as the night of the Assumption with historic buildings opening their courtyards, and a torch light procession ends with fireworks.
- August: During the last week, Montepulciano hosts Bravio delle Botti, a race between the 8 contrada or neighborhoods with 50 pound wine barrels carried through the historic center. Dinners and games take place all week long.
- September: Pienza's Fiera del Cacio or cheese festival takes place on the first Sunday.
Open Air Markets: Morning markets are held in Chiusi on Tuesdays; in Chianciano Terme on Wednesdays; Montepulciano on Thursdays; in Pienza, Sarteano, Torrita di Siena or Montalcino on Fridays and in Cortona or Cetona on Saturday mornings.