Nearest Shopping and Dining: Open the villa's gated entry and walk to a cafe bar and pizzeria within 100 yards. Within a third of a mile walk, there is a small grocer, a butcher shop, a restaurant and a pharmacy. Drive 10-12 minutes to Montepulciano or Sinalunga with an assortment of fine restaurants, pizzerias, café bars and wine shops. Within half a mile of the villa, there is a supermarket in Torrita di Siena, open on Saturday until 8 pm and on Sunday mornings. There are three supermarkets in Sinalunga.
Not To Be Missed:
Bagno Vignoni, a 40 minute drive is known since Roman times for the benefits of it's thermal spring waters that gather in a big basin located in a beautiful square in the center of town.
In Cortona, 30-minute drive, is the Museum of the Etruscan Academy located in the historic 13th century Palazzo Casali. The museum exhibits an impressive collection of archaeological material and artistic items. Open year round. Closed on Mondays.
- Monte Oliveto Maggiore, the most well known monastery in Tuscany, walk the cloisters and visit the shop where the monks sell liquors, ceramics and herbal remedies, 40 minute drive.
Public Transportation: The closest main train station with service to Rome is located in Chiusi, a 35 minute drive. The journey takes 80-90 minutes.
Golf: Golf Club Valdichiana - Within a 15 minute drive. Open year round. Closed on Wednesdays from November to February.
- June: Festa del Barbarossa takes place in San Quirico d'Orcia on the third weekend with a medieval costume procession through the village ending at the Horti Leonini Italianate gardens where neighborhoods compete in archery and flag throwing.
- August: In Pienza, August 14th is celebrated as the night of the Assumption with historic buildings opening their courtyards, and a torch light procession ends with fireworks.
- August: During the last week, Montepulciano hosts Bravio delle Botti, a race between the 8 contrada or neighborhoods with 50 pound wine barrels carried through the historic center. Dinners and games take place all week long.
- September: Pienza's Fiera del Cacio or cheese festival takes place on the first Sunday.
Open Air Markets: Morning markets are held in Chiusi on Tuesdays; in Chianciano Terme on Wednesdays; Montepulciano on Thursdays; in Pienza, Sarteano, Torrita di Siena or Montalcino on Fridays and in Cortona or Cetona on Saturday mornings.